As the summer quickly slips away, it’s time to make sure we get our fill of grilled meats! Here are the top five grilled meats we love here in Wisconsin and some brief instructions on how to grill each one. You might be surprised how easy these are to prepare.
1. Fresh Bratwurst– If your bratwurst aren’t precooked, put the brats in a skillet with just enough liquid (I recommend beer but water will work if you don’t have beer, but in Wisconsin we always have beer) to cover them. A full boil might cause your wurst to burst, so simmer them (a low boil) until cooked through (about 15-20 minutes), then take them out of their brat tub and sear them on the grill.
2. Pre-Cooked Bratwurst– A great alternative if you are short on time and you want to skip the simmer step. With pre-cooked brats go straight to the grill, do not pass go, do not collect $200. For more brat ideas, check out my recipe for Curry Wurst or visit my fav brat resource the Bratwurst Pages!
3. Nueske Bacon Burgers- Fans of these burgers rave about how they barely shrink during the cooking process. Cook on a hot grill, about 3-5 minutes per side. Resist the urge to squish them with a spatula, you’re squishing out all the juices!
4. Nueske Applewood Smoked Pork Chops– These are pre-cooked and just require a quick sear- just don’t cook them too long or it will dry out the meat.
5. Nueske Applewood Smoked Wieners – Hot dogs imply kid food, so these natural casing, pork and beef tube steaks go by the old school word for hot dog- wiener (stop giggling!). Again, these are pre-cooked so only require a quick warming on the grill.
What are your favorite meats to cook on the grill?