A recent article in the Wisconsin State Journal says that Wisconsin came in at number nine on a list that ranks states based on their access to local food. This had me curious about what kind of local foods I have on hand, so I opened up my fridge to see if I could find five Wisconsin-made items, and here are the first five I found. I bet there’s more in there, especially if I count the beers!
1. Quince and Apple Fig and Black Tea Preserves – You might not have this in your fridge, but you should! I use it in a fancy pizza recipe, but it also makes a perfect pairing for Wisconsin cheese and crackers.
2. Cedar Grove Cheddar – I have Wisconsin cheese in my fridge! Shocker! This particular block of cheese comes from Cedar Grove. I like their cheese because they never use growth hormones on the cows that produce the milk, plus it tastes awesome of course!
3. Wisconsin Mustard – My family loves mustard, and we frequent the Mustard Museum in Middleton, Wisconsin where we can buy mustard from all over the USA and even the world, but our go-to mustard- Silver Springs Beer n’ Brat Mustard- is made right here in Wisconsin!
4. Howling Wolf BBQ Sauce – Howling Wolf BBQ Sauce comes in three flavors and I keep my favorite, Cranberry Orange, on hand at all times. The sauce adds a sweet and tangy flavor to chicken, ribs, pulled pork, and anything else my stomach desires.
5. Wisconsin Maple Syrup – Growing up I always topped my pancakes with fake syrup, but now I’m addicted to the real deal! I have to eat tons of waffles and pancakes to make up for the wasted years. I also like to use maple syrup in recipes- it adds a richness and depth of flavor that regular old sugar just can’t beat.
Even if you don’t live in Wisconsin, you can still enjoy all of these Wisconsin foods and many more by shopping at Wisconsinmade.com!
What Wisconsin foods are in your fridge right now?
Cheese and Sausage from Wisconsin is a combination that’s one of our top sellers throughout the year. This Wisconsin Cheese and Sausage Pair of Pairs combines some of the finest Wisconsin Cheese and Summer Sausage for friendly get-togethers. This assortment includes Wisconsin Mild Cheddar Cheese and Wisconsin Colby Cheese from one of the finest cheesemakers in the great Dairy state! It also includes a Smoked Pork and Beef Summer Sausage (a savory beef and pork combination that’s high in protein, low in salt and exceptionally delicious!) and an All-Beef Summer Sausage (lean grain-fed beef seasoned with natural spices and ground into the best sausage you’ve ever tasted!). Hear what our customers have to say.
“We purchased a cheese and sausage package for our former neighbor who now lives in Florida. They thanked us and said it’s impossible to get such good stuff in Florida!” Michelle
“My friend loved her birthday gift of meat and cheese. I loved that the gift was ordered, made, shipped and received in four business days at the regular delivery rate! Thank you!” Jivka
“I was looking for an office warming gift for a friend whose business moved to a new headquarters, and contacted WisconsinMade.com for ideas. A very helpful email arrived soon after with great ideas at a variety of price points. I picked a tasty-looking combo and placed the order on Monday. The order arrived Thursday and was great. Thank you for your help! I will definitely be back.” Larry
I don’t know if Wisconsin has an official soup, but if it did, it would be beer cheese soup. As a newbie Wisconsinite, I don’t have a tried and true recipe, so browsing all the options was a bit overwhelming. I had to decide on the type of cheese, type of beer, and if I wanted to include add-ins from bratwurst to butternut squash. I settled for a combo of cheddar and swiss- cheddar for the flavor and swiss for the creaminess. For beer, I picked a local brew of course. I chose a recipe with some carrot, green onion, celery and potatoes, because let’s face it, we all need to eat our veggies and it is easy to get in your daily requirement when they are swimming in cheesy goodness. Do you have a favorite beer cheese soup recipe? Post a link! Click continue reading to see my recipe.
Now that Christmas break is over, it’s time to get back into the routine of homework, car pools, and family dinner. Parents know how important a family dinner can be, but at the end of a stressful day, the last thing Mom and Dad want to do is slave over a complicated recipe. Edible Antics to the rescue! This family dinner is fast, easy, and even the pickiest of eaters will like it. I should know, my brother eats this meal, and to this day (he’s 21) he won’t eat anything green, except for green M&Ms. For those of us who do eat green, a side salad or mixed veggies turns these Barbeque Biscuit Cups into a well-rounded family dinner. Continue reading for the recipe.