We continue our culinary tour of Wisconsin counties with a visit to Dane and Doge Counties. Both of them offer wonderful opportunities to enjoy Wisconsin’s special flare for food and fun.
About 490,000 people live in the 1,202 square miles that is Dane County. The county seat and also the Wisconsin State Capital are both in Madison. Other cities in Dane County include:
- Sun Prairie
- and 18 more villages
The University of Wisconsin main campus with about 40,000 students is located in Madison. Dane County is the second most populous county in Wisconsin, but it is also the most productive agricultural county in the state. This output is in corn, soybeans, milk and meat. Madison is a tourism and convention destination centered on the beautiful State Capitol building and the Frank Lloyd Wright designed Monona Terrace Convention Center
. The supporting infrastructure is blessed with many restaurants, shops, bakeries, meat markets, wineries, breweries and supper clubs.
The Wisconsinmade.com partner artisans located in Dane County include:
- Babcock Hall for their ice cream and award winning cheeses.
- Rowe Pottery for salt glazed crocks and pottery
- Windsong Photography for scenic prints from around Wisconsin
- Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream
- Cam-Rock Clay Works for custom handmade personalized pottery
- Potter’s Crackers for small batch artisan crackers
- Quince and Apple for their contemporary boutique preserves
- Basketree Gifts for gift baskets with that special Wisconsin flare
- Accent Corner for outdoor Badger yard signage
- National Mustard Museum for Wisconsin based mustard gift box
- Northwoods Cheese for cheese and sausage gift boxes and baskets
- A Gift of Wood for handmade wooden home accents
- Neesvigs Purveyors suppliers of fine quality meats
- Tweedee Productions for their DVD of Wisconsin’s Camp Randell Stadium
- White Jasmin supplier of unique spices for your kitchen
- White Lily Glass makes fused glass art items for your home
- Modernist Mailboxes provides their unique architecturally designed mailbox system
- UW Press provides books about Wisconsin or by Wisconsin authors
In addition to our Artisan partners Edible Antics Dane County recommendations include:
- Dane County cheesemaker Bleu Mont Dairy’s cheddar cheese with a glass of Syrah or Pinot Gri.
- Dane County cheesemaker Babcock Hall Dairy Gouda cheese with a glass of Beaujolais, Champagne or Potter.
Dane County Bakeries:
- The Greenbush Bakery
- Lane’s Bakery
- Madison Sourdough
- La Baguette
- Le Petit Croissant
- The Silly Yak Bakery
- Carl’s Cakes
- Clausen’s European Bakery
Dane County Meat Suppliers:
Dane County beer and wine producers:
- Wollersheim Winery and Distillery
- Capital Brewery
- Vintage Brewing
- The Great Dane Brewpub
- Ale Asylum
- Wisconsin Brewing
- One Barrel Brewing
- The Grumpy Troll Brewpub
- Fisher King Winery
Dane County Supper Clubs and Restaurants
- The Dorf Haus in Roxbury
- Smoky’s Club
- Toby’s Supper Club
- Maple Tree Supper Club
- The Old Fashioned
- The Tornado Steak House
- The Wonder Bar
- Fleming’s Steak House
- Ruth’s Cris of Madison
- Johnny Delmonico’s
- Capitol Chop House
- Green Acres Restaurant
And if you prefer the newest food stops in Madison try:
Dodge County occupies 882 square miles and is home to about 89,000 Wisconsinites. The county seat is in Juneau. Other cities in the county include:
- Beaver Dam
- Fox Lake
- and parts of Watertown and Waupun
The vast Horicon National Wildlife Refuge is in Dodge County and is home to 268 species of bird, including ducks, cranes, herons and shore birds plus numerous marsh dwellers large and small. It is a favorite migratory stop in the fall for an estimated 100,000 to 300,000 Canada geese and other migrating birds. It is the nesting grounds for many species birds and is a favorite stop for over 400,000 travelers per year.
Wisconsinmade.com artisan partners in Dodge County include:
- Honey Acres honey products
- Hat Creek Candle Company
- Howling Wolf BBQ sauces and dry rubs
- K-Delights hand decorated sugar cookies
- Glenn’s Market brats and gift boxes
In addition to our Artisan Partners Edible Antics recommends:
- Widmer’s Cheese Cellars in Theresa. No other US plant produces smear-ripened, aged, foil wrapped, tangy Brick cheese. Try their Colby cheese with a glass of Malbec, Riesling or a Pilsner beer
- Crave Brothers Farmstead cheese is known for their award winning sweet Mascarpone cheese and their fresh mozzarella. Try the mozzarella with a glass of Chianti or Pinot Gri.
- LeRoy Meats in Horicon features the freshest cuts of meats combined with award winning homemade sausage products.
- The Audubon Inn in Mayville is a historic inn and is close the Horicon Marsh.
- Feil’s supper Club in Randolph
Did we miss any of your favorites? Tell us about them.
Join us next week to find Edible Antics in Door and Douglas Counties,
We are very fortunate to live in Wisconsin, a state that has so many good places to eat, sites to see and people to meet. We hope you get a chance to try some of these recommendations that all are Made With Pride and Passion in Wisconsin.