Edible Antics is currently posting virtual culinary tour entries from Wisconsin counties in alphabetical order. Scroll down for some of the Wisconsin counties we visited in previous weeks or these prior counties visited are available in the archived links on the right side of your screen. We are finding special Supper Clubs, bakeries, meat markets, breweries, wineries, bed and breakfasts, parks, attractions and anything we think visitors might enjoy in each county we visit. Some background information on each county is followed with specific links to our Wisconsinmade artisan partners and to our Edible Antics recommendations for each county. The archives cover these counties:
- December 2015 archives – Adams and Ashland Counties
- January 2016 archives – Barron through Clark Counties
- February 2016 archives – Columbia through Eau Claire Counties
- March 2016 archives – Florence through Iron Counties
The Joy Cardin Show on Wisconsin Public Radio’s Ideas Network recently had a segment discussing items that are made in Wisconsin. I was the guest and discussed with Joy and her listeners many of the high quality products produced in Wisconsin and featured on Wisconsinmade.com. We even had a chance to discuss this blog, Edible Antics. You can listen to the program at the Joy Cardin Show archives.
We continue our Wisconsin County Edible Antics online culinary tour this week in Jackson County and Jefferson County Wisconsin. Both counties have much to offer the visitor for their comfort and enjoyment.
Jackson County is centered on the county seat of Black River Falls. 20,400 folks populate the 987 square miles of this county. Other villages in the county include:
- Alma Center
There are four ghost towns in the county:
- Charter Oak Mills
Loggers were the first settlers and were drawn to the area for the white pine. When logging camps and sawmills closed, the area drew farmers for cranberries, sphagnum moss and strawberries. Similar to many parts of Wisconsin, there was an influx of Old World Immigrants, which has led to a culturally diverse population. The Black River State Forest, miles of ATV trails, campgrounds, local lakes and parks offer the stage for a multitude of hobbies, interests and recreations. Lake Wazee, formerly a mine quarry, is considered the deepest, inland lake in Wisconsin.
Edible Antics recommendations in Jackson County include:
- Stone’s Throw Supper Club in Hatfield
- The Orange Moose
- Sand Creek Brewing in Black River Falls
- Ho Chunk gaming maintains a casino in Black River Falls
- Furthermore Beer in Black River Falls
- The Castle Hill Supper Club near Merrillan
- The Brambleberry Inn bed and breakfast and winery
- For travelers with pets dog friendly lodging in Black River Falls
Jefferson is the county seat of this county with 83,700 population and 557 square miles of territory. Other cities and villages include:
- Fort Atkinson
- Lake Mills
- Johnson Creek
Jefferson County is located between Wisconsin’s major urban areas, Milwaukee and Madison. It was named after Jefferson County, New York, where some of the original settlers of the county originated. Correspondingly the town of Watertown, Wisconsin was named after the town of Watertown, New York, which is located in Jefferson County, New York.
The Wisconsinmade artisan partners located in Jefferson County include:
- Jones Dairy Farm is not only a leader in all-natural breakfast sausage but the company produces a full line of popular products including dry aged bacon, smoked bacon, ham, Canadian bacon, turkey & sausage. When you’re in south central Wisconsin, check out the all-new Jones Market retail store to pick up fresh products that you can’t get anywhere else.
- Rushing Waters fish facility in Palmyra produces only the very finest fully cooked, ready-to-eat-hot-smoked fish, processed in their all new HACCP certified plant according to the strictest quality assurance standards. The Trout House at Rushing Waters is more than another great restaurant; it is a unique, mouthwatering, farm-to-fork, culinary experience. The Trout House menus celebrate seasonal local ingredients sourced on-site from their fishery, smokehouse and the area’s bountiful farms.
- Berres Brothers Coffee roasts their own blend of the world’s best quality beans
- Glenn’s Market provides award winning homemade products like Bologna, Bratwurst, and Fresh Meats. They make every Brat in a USDA certified sausage kitchen, following their HAACP to ensure quality, and with no fillers, artificial colors, or artificial ingredients,
- Elegant Arrangements by Maureen specializes in gift baskets and assortments that are filled with Wisconsin-made gourmet food products
- Jim’s Cheese is the Cheese Cut out Capital of the World, with 400 to 500 different types of sculptures sold in all 48 states and made with real Wisconsin cheese.
In addition to our Wisconsinmade artisan partners in Jefferson County Edible Antics recommends:
- Aztalan State Park near Johnson Creek is a National Historic Landmark and contains one of Wisconsin’s most important archaeological sites. It showcases an ancient Middle-Mississippian village that thrived between A.D. 1000 and 1300. The people who settled Aztalan built large, flat-topped pyramidal mounds and a stockade around their village. Portions of the stockade and two mounds have been reconstructed in the park.
- The Fireside Dinner Theater in Fort Atkinson has been a premiere entertainment destination in the Midwest for superb musicals featuring Broadway performers, fine dining, and boutique shops in a one-of-a-kind setting
- Hi-Way Harry’s Steakhouse in Johnson Creek
- Mangiami Italiano in Fort Atkinson is the ideal location for a romantic evening out or a relaxing meal with friends or family
- Northern Trails Meats in Watertown offers varieties of summer sausage, hot stix, wieners, bologna, breakfast links, and many kinds of brats. Their homemade ham and bacon are some of their best selling products.
- Lewis Station Winery in Lake Mills is one of Wisconsin’s most unique premium urban wineries in a re-purposed early 20th-century gas station.
- Tyranena Brewery in Lake Mills
- The Edgewater Supper Club in Jefferson offers a range of classic dishes as well as novel ones in a cozy dining atmosphere.
- For travelers looking for pet friendly lodging in Jefferson County Wisconsin
We hope you find time to enjoy these Edible Antics Jackson County and Jefferson County recommendations.
Join us next week as we search out more delightful stops in Juneau and Kenosha Counties looking for people, places and edibles Made with Pride and Passion in Wisconsin.