Edible Antics is currently posting virtual culinary tour entries from Wisconsin counties in alphabetical order. Scroll down for some of the Wisconsin counties we visited in previous weeks. The prior counties visited are available in the archived links on the right side of your screen. We are finding special Supper Clubs, bakeries, meat markets, breweries, wineries, bed and breakfasts, parks, attractions and anything we think visitors might enjoy in each county we visit. Some background information on each county is followed with specific links to our Wisconsinmade.com artisan partners and to our Edible Antics recommendations for each county.
This week we continue our Wisconsin counties virtual culinary tour in Lafayette and Langlade counties looking for edibles and adventures.
The county seat is in Darlington in these 634 square miles of Wisconsin home to 16,800 people. Other cities and villages include
- South Wayne
The First Capitol of Wisconsin is in Belmont and is a state historical site. These early lawmakers huddled in the cold during the fall and winter of 1836 and built the framework that would evolve into the state of Wisconsin 12 years later. They met from October 25 to December 9, 1836, put 42 laws on the books, established a judicial system, called for roads and railroads, and — most significantly — established Madison as the permanent capital city.
In New Diggings the St. Augustine Church has been restored to its 1844 form. It was originally built as a place of worship for the Irish mining families in the vicinity.
Lafayette County Recommendations
- Zimmerman Cheese in South Wayne
- Schullsburg Creamery in Schullsburg
- Forgotten Valley Cheese in South Wayne
- Bloody Lake Rendezvous where a group of these living historians host an annual rendezvous event at the appropriately historic Black Hawk Memorial Park near Woodford, WI.
- Cinco De Mayo Celebration May 14, 2016 in Darlington is a celebration of the cultures from many different Latin American countries including Mexico, Honduras, Argentina, Peru, and Uruguay.
- The Darlington Canoe Fest June 9-12, 2016 is a weekend long party which also includes a canoe race.
- The Brewster House restaurant in Schullsburg includes a cheese store, gift shop and restaurant all in one in the downtown of this historic mining village.
Antigo is the county seat for the 873 square mile county that is home to 19,900 people. Other villages include Langlade and White Lake. Much of the county is heavy forest with many rivers and lakes for recreational use. For lodging there are cabins and campgrounds to choose from. The Wolf River runs through the county with boat landings and public access. This stretch of water is considered one of the best whitewater rivers in the Midwest! The Wolf goes from quiet, calm water in the northern section to complex rapids in the southern sections. Local outfitters help with rentals and shuttle transportation.
Wisconsinmade Langlade County Artisan Partner
WinPress Publishing offers book publishing and marketing services to new and seasoned authors.
Langlade County Recommendations
- Langlade County Courthouse Classical Revival architecture in Antigo was built in 1905, with
murals by Swedish artist Axel Soderberg
- Breit’s Post Lake Inn near Elcho, Wisconsin
- Swartzendruber’s Supper Club in Antigo
- Buettner’s Wild Wolf Inn in White Lake
We hope you have an opportunity to enjoy these Edible Antics recommendations.
Join us next week as we visit Lincoln Count and Manitowoc County searching for people, places and edibles Made With Pride and Passion in Wisconsin.