We continue our culinary focused tour of Wisconsin counties with Barron and Bayfield counties. Both of these counties contain excellent examples of the food heritage of Wisconsin.
Barron County is home to about 46,000 people and occupies 862 square miles. The city of Barron is the county seat. Other cities in Barron County include Chetek, Cumberland and Rice Lake. Recreational opportunities abound all year round in this classic “Up North” county.
Edible antics Barron County recommendations:
- Crystal Lake Cheese produces some great consumer oriented cheeses.
- Louie’s Fine Meats in Cumberland can “meet” all your carnivore needs.
- Barron Bakery in Barron and Leroy’s Bakery in Rice Lake provide breads and sweets for all.
- Lehman’s Super Club in Rice Lake is a traditional supper club
- Adventures is a popular rest stop in Rice Lake
- Bistro 63 in Barronett offers fine dining in the north woods
- Norske Nook in Rice Lake is known for their numerous homemade pies.
- Valkyrie Brewery in Dallas has an unusual selection of beers
- And finally for a luxurious romantic stay in the woods try Canoe Bay.
In far northern Wisconsin Bayfield County is home to about 15,000 year round residents and occupies 1,476 square miles making it Wisconsin’s second largest county. The county seat is in Washburn. Other cities include Drummond, Cable and Iron River. This county along the south shore of Lake Superior is one of the favorite tourist destinations in Wisconsin. It includes Madeline Island and is home to the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. It is home to a number of apple orchards and hosts a very popular Apple Festival the first weekend in October. Restaurants and lodging facilities are numerous and offer a broad range of choices.
Edible antics Bayfield County recommendations:
- The Old Rittenhouse Inn in Bayfield offers both lodging and fine dining.
- Wild Rice is a very popular delightful fine dining just south of Bayfield
- Maggie’s offers eclectic busy dining in Bayfield popular for the fresh whitefish.
- The Bayfield Inn has accommodations and dining with a view.
- Egg Toss Cafe in Bayfield is great for breakfast.
- The Village Inn in Cornucopia has great fried cheese curds.
- The Delta Diner offers a special diner treat in our north woods
- Many good bed and breakfast locations in the area.
We hope you enjoy these suggestions. Next week we visit Brown and Buffalo counties to find more goodies Made with Pride and Passion in Wisconsin.