Here it is, my first and favorite blog post of the year. The blog post where I get to look ahead to the year in food and predict what flavors, dishes and treats will be popular in the year to come. Last year I predicted deviled eggs, waffles and buratta would pop up on restaurant menus and in foodie kitchens. Want to know what I think we’ll be eating this year? Read on!
- Old Fashioned Cocktails. Is the Old Fashioned the official cocktail of Wisconsin? If not, it should be. Wisconsinites LOVE a brandy Old Fashioned. But you know what’s also tasty? A bourbon Old Fashioned. According to my local bartender, drinkers are skipping the vodka and gin in exchange for bourbon and scotch. I’m predicting bourbon Old Fashioned cocktails will be the top cocktail of 2015.
- Pumpkin Seeds. I made a pumpkin soup recently and the recipe suggested I roast the seeds as a topping for the soup. I’d never roasted pumpkin seeds myself, but I’d tried them at restaurants before and I always liked them, so I decided to tackle this extra step. Taking the seeds out of the pumpkin guts was more work than I had hoped for, put after patting the seeds dry, tossing them with olive oil and salt, then roasting them in the oven for about 25 minutes, I came to the conclusion that roasting pumpkin seeds is SO WORTH IT! Yum! I snacked on so many they almost didn’t make it into the soup. You can also do the same thing with butternut squash seeds.
- Geek Yogurt for everything. There’s no denying Americans have developed a taste for Greek yogurt. It’s slowly but surely taking over the entire yogurt section at the grocery store. But if all you’re doing is eating fruity Greek yogurt as a snack, you’re missing out. Plain Greek yogurt makes a healthier substitute for sour cream. You won’t even notice the difference in taste when you use it to top tacos, baked potatoes, or even as a substitute for sour cream in dips.
- Cheese Grits. Grits are a traditionally Southern food that’s known for being bland, but melt in some Wisconsin cheese and top them with Nuekse bacon and you’ve got an amazing breakfast. You’re welcome South.
- Grilled Pizza. Attention pizza lovers- you must try grilling pizza! Grilled pizza is chewier and has a smokey flavor that oven pizza just can’t deliver. Read here for great grilled pizza instructions.
What foods do you think will be popular in 2015?