I’m late to the party with my kale obsession, but better late than never. I know some people are bored of kale, but how could that be possible?! Here are five reasons why kale will always have a spot in the veggie drawer of my fridge.
1. Kale is a super healthy super food. If you’re like me, you probably say to yourself “I know kale is good for me, but why exactly?” You can stop wondering because I looked it up for you! According to NationalKaleDay.org, kale contains antioxidants that help lower blood pressure, folates that contribute to brain health, and the leafy green even has the “ability to stimulate natural detoxifying enzymes and reduces brain inflammation as well as the risk of breast and prostate cancer.” Wow! Who knew?
2. You can turn kale in to chips. I was skeptical about kale chips too, but they have the same addictive salty crunch as potato chips without all of that extra fat. Here’s an easy recipe that will change the way you look at chips forever!
3. Kale will give a nutritional punch to your smoothies. Next time you make a smoothie, try adding a handful of kale. Sure, your smoothie will turn green, but the sweetness of the fruit will cover up the kale flavor, and you’ll get your greens in the easy way.
4. You can cook kale in beer. In Wisconsin we love a good beer with just about anything, including fresh vegetables. Check out this blog post for a recipe with beer and kale.
5. You can bake kale with eggs and Wisconsin cheese for breakfast. Start your day off right with this breakfast bake. The recipe calls for spinach but I swapped it out for kale. Plus there’s brown butter bread crumbs on top so trust me, you want this!
What’s your favorite way to eat kale?