Wisconsinmade.com blog Edible Antics is touring Wisconsin posting virtual culinary tour entries from Wisconsin counties in alphabetical order. Scroll down for some of the Wisconsin counties we were touring in previous weeks. The prior counties visited are available in the archived links on the blog. We are finding special Supper Clubs, bakeries, meat markets, breweries, wineries, bed and breakfasts, parks, attractions and anything we think visitors might enjoy in each county we visit. We’ll post some background information on each county followed by specific links to our Wisconsinmade.com artisan partners and to our Edible Antics recommendations for each county.
This week we continue our Wisconsin counties virtual culinary tour in Marathon and Marinette counties looking for edibles and adventures.
The county is home to 134,000 people and it occupies 1,545 square miles making it Wisconsin’s largest in area. The county seat is Wausau and other cities include Mosinee and Schofield. The Wisconsin River runs through the city of Wausau and formed the early settlers primary transportation system. Early history of this area focused on lumber, sawmills and paper production. It has evolved into agriculture and has become the Ginseng Capital of the world. Visitors touring the county will enjoy Rib Mountain State Park and the Granite Peak Ski area. Wausau is also the home town of “Crazy Legs” Hirsch who was a star football player for both the University of Wisconsin and the Los Angeles Rams.
There are 884 miles of groomed snowmobile trails for touring in the county that are maintained by 29 local clubs.
Wisconsinmade.com Artisan partners in Marathon County include:
- Kaiser Farms produces high quality Wisconsin Ginseng dietary supplements
- Carle Studios specializes in graphic design, portraits, illustrations and fine art. Included are portraits for family and friends. Most portraits are done from photos of
people, places and pets and are rendered in graphite pencil, colored pencil or mixed mediums. Other products available from Carle Studios are note cards and art prints of colored pencil drawings.
In addition to our Artisan partners Edible Antics Marathon County recommendations include:
- Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum features always free exhibits specializing in bird sculptures
- Wausau River District a renewed section of the city along the Wisconsin River
- The Jefferson Street Inn a boutique hotel in the center of the River District in Wausau
- The Rothschild Pavilion a beautiful restored stone pavilion with rustic furnishings that has a railroad car spring mounted dance floor.
- Ski’s Meat Market offers meat, cheese, deli products and specialty foods
- Country Fresh Meats specializes in products that are Old World style, minimally processed, naturally smoked (with real wood chips, not liquid smoke), and stuffed into natural casings
- Abbyland Foods produces a full line of specialty sausages that are still made traditionally – blending old-world skill and pride with modern food processing technology
- Mountain Bay State Trail is 83 miles of converted rail line that runs from just east of Wausau to Green Bay.
- Red Eye Brewing serves artisan food and craft beer in downtown Wausau
- For touring friends looking for pet friendly hotels the Wausau area has a number of them.
Marinette County calls itself the Waterfall Capital of Wisconsin. The population of 41,800 live on 1,401 square miles. Marinette is the county seat. Other cities include Niagara and Peshtigo. The Menomonie River forms the northern border of the county and also the state with the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and the city of Menomonie, Michigan sharing the shoreline of Green Bay. The county includes the Governor Thompson State Park and the Peshtigo River State Park is a long, linear state forest that borders some of the most beautiful and exciting sections of the Peshtigo River. Anglers know the river’s free-flowing portion for its excellent fly-fishing; paddlers brave the Midwest’s longest continuous whitewater rapids; and boaters can access more than 3,000 acres of flowage from 15 boat landings. Marinette Marine has facilities here that are currently producing littoral combat ships for the US Navy. The largest fire in US history covered a substantial portion of this county. The Peshtigo Fire of 1871 claimed over 1,200 lives. The city of Peshtigo rose from the ashes and today maintains a museum and cemetery honoring those lost.
Edible Antics Marinette County recommendations include:
- Porterfield Country Music Festival runs for 9 days from June 11 thru the 19th at Green’s Green Acres.
- The seven waterfalls on the tour or Marinette falls.
- Forgotten Fire Winery currently offers over 25 wines
- Northwoods Distillery makes high quality flavored rum in Coleman.
- Rivers Edge Supper Club in Marinette overlooks the Menomonie River
- Four Seasons Island Resort offers pet-friendly accommodations in Miscauno Island. The resort guests can enjoy a meal at the restaurant or a drink at the bar.
- The Hilltop Resort near Crivitz in the heart of the Peshtigo River State Park offers dining and liquid refreshments at their Supper Club and Sports Bar as well as lodging in their Vacation Motel or in their 3 bedroom Mobile Homes
We hope as you tour Wisconsin you have an opportunity to try some of these Edible Antics recommendations. Drop by Edible Antics next week as we continue our tour in Marquette and Menominee counties. We will be looking for people, places and edibles Made with Pride and Passion in Wisconsin.